Every weekend we have continued to work on the kitchen and weeks have gotten away from me. Wanted to take a moment to walk you through all the things we have been up to. If you have been following along on instagram you know we are a bit farther than this, I will do some posts to get us caught up with all the detail!
Since we were moving the kitchen we had some rough work to do in the basement crawl space below. We have a full basement downstairs but for whatever reason there is only a crawl space directly under the new kitchen space. so we were in there a lot.
One day during demo I jumped up and down in excitement, because I do that, and my dad realized the floor was a bit more bouncy than he liked. So we went in the hole. First, Chris got in there and re-enforced the floor to see if that helped the bouncy factor.
To do this he took some boards and wedged them between the floor joist near the other supports. Although this helped it didn’t fully solve the problem. So dad recommended we add a support beam underneath. Keep in mind this area of the kitchen was going to have a huge (5’x6′) island sitting on it, so we wanted to be sure that the floor wasn’t going to wiggle around.
First we brought a huge beam into the hole. It was a 16 foot 8×8 beam. We lifted it up to the ceiling so it was flush with the top. We hung it up there using wire, which honestly was kinda scary I kept thinking it was going to fall but it stayed.
Then we played down 4 cement block and made sure they were level. These would be the support structure to put the incremental 4×4 beams up to support the big horizontal beam.
Then we used a jack to jack up the big beam to be a bit taller than we really wanted it, so then we could wedge a 4×4 beam in sitting on the cement block. The jack helped us to make sure we got a really tight fit with the support beams.
We did this 4 times evenly spaced. Once we went up stairs the floor wasn’t moving one bit! This whole project took us about 45 mins and cost about $100 to make a much better support base for the house.
Here you can see the final result. It worked well and didn’t take too long!
When we first moved into the house the number one priority was curtains. But I could never find prints I really wanted myself so I knew from day 1 I would have to make them myself.
I follow the tutorial by Design Sponge. The one thing I would say is that the pleating tape was pretty difficult to work with. If I made pleated drapes again, I think I would just try to them from scratch – the old fashioned way. My mom tried to convince me to do the that way to begin with, but I didn’t listen 😉
Just as a reminder – I have one very very large window in the living room (17 feet long!). and then I have one window that is connected in the dinning room. So I needed an economical solution for the 17ft window on the curtain rod. If I bought a curtain rod in the store it would be so expensive. So instead I bought a 20 foot copper pipe. Yep a 20ft pipe! Then I jazzed it up with fun Restoration Hardware ends. I like that it mixed copper and brass and it was economical!
The curtains make the whole space so full and homey.
A difficult thing to do in the living room, is balancing the practically of cozy TV time and the aesthetic need to make your living room look pretty. This being our first house, it’s small and we don’t have a tv and a formal living room. So we have to combine our area. A great way to do that is to hide it with a great gallery wall.
The other thing I love doing is tucking ottomans under a console table. It’s a perfectly practical way to add two more spots to sit. These two ottomans I bought from target and easily re-upholstered the cushions to make them fit in our colors. We are often having a lot of guests over for the extra ottomans are also an added bonus for that!
My apologies for the late post. I took the pics right before we switched over to our holiday decor! But overall another way I conceal the TV is by hiding fun accessories around the console. This console was a great find too! Craigslist $80, and it didn’t even need any updating!!!
I liked the way we did the mantel at first. But there is just something about really big art that brings a level of sophistication to a room. So I got an itch to try and do a DIY piece of art. I first found the below inspiration and knew I wanted to try and re-create. It was from the HGTV Smart Home in North Carolina Last year. I love how sophisticated the large piece of art made the whole room feel.
So, with the help of my husband we gave it a whirl.
Making the art was super fun. I pulled my husband in, he was a double major in multi-media and fine art in college. So he was a huge help in the process.
I love the crisp blue tones with the white and the pop of green. Can’t wait to decorate the mantel for Christmas!!!
Wanted to share updates on bedroom. When I first moved in I found a fun vintage dresser that I re-did right away. However it always takes time to find fun accessories to make the room feel more homey. Here is what the dresser looks like today!
Just as a reminder, above is what the dresser looked like before the DIY. See the full post on how to here.
come back tomorrow to see the full bedroom reveal!